Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Jars in the Window ~ Final Coat ~ Split color

A Christmas gift to myself, is to have finished this gum print. A gum print is designed, all through the printing series. The final image is a reflection of decisions made along the way, the choice of color(s) to use, each layer, how thick, how shear, where to apply, how many layers and in which order, how long to print, how long to float.... Making a gum print is like directing a score, keeping everyone working as a unit, and in harmony.

Overall, I am quite happy with the final print. In spite of the color problems, which I am unable to see. Even now, the wood appears a sort of neutral grayish brown to my eye. My artist wife tells me I am looking at plum and pink. Alright, I accept that. Can't help that, but I can have said color seeing wife sign off on the photos of the prints I shoot to post here. I have corrected that, I believe. The colors are what they are. I had no exact color in mind when printing. What I had hoped for was for more than one color showing up throughout the image. What I am more happy with is the light in the scene. The light outside that window was at least five stops above the interior, so the task was preserving that relationship of light on both sides of the window. It was in printing this image, with this particular obstacle to overcome that brought up the flash of insight into printing the light. I believe this gum captures that light.

Every gum printer will have their own style of printing, simply because copying a gum is a fool's errand, unless it in a lab using strict scientific measurements and timing. That's a scientific experiment, what I want to do is art. The art part simply referring to one's personally developed style, and in gum printing, that shows up big time. So, one thing I can imagine is viewers reactions to my gums, with the wild colors. It is a photographic watercolor, partially watercolor rules apply. What came through in the print was the light quality and textural detail. If I could see color I'd be on a roll.

"Jars in the Window" ~ Final Print ~ Unique


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. One never knows exactly what it will look like until the dichromate stain has been removed. Now I'm tempted to add one last shear layer of yellow over it all to bring it back to a more neutral overall color.

      Delete