Friday, January 12, 2018

Photographic Publishing ~ New Book

I have been juggling my time between printing portfolios and writing books. The reason that even works is simply because I'm working on the same subject, mostly, in different genres. My print work now coincides with what I'm writing about; salt paper printing. It was the first hand coating format I learned, in 1984. The original portfolio remains in the custom wooden display box I had made for it at the time. A piece of history for me, a reminder of what can be learned with any effort. As I've noted, I took my first cues from "The Keepers of Light" in beginning my exploration into hand coated printing. This book is about that learning experience.

This is the second book in the "Alchemist's Guide;" series "Alchemist's Guide; To Salted Paper Printing". The cover design is complete and the interior of the book is being reread word by word to insure the explanations and flow of things, works. A step by step procedural guide to hand coated printing with silver. That is the focus and function of the book, in 130 pages, give or take. This will also be the first time I'll be using black and white salted silver print images in the section on the negative, to demonstrate the connection between the density range of the negative, and reciprocal tonal range of the print. The salt paper process allows for a very long scaled negative.


No comments:

Post a Comment