Monday, February 5, 2018

New Vintage Cameras ~ Different perspective

Strange things are unfolding for me, things I  would normally say just wouldn't be something all that likely, that just happened, as unlikely as it  might have been. I just bought two vintage twin lens reflex cameras off eBay. Film cameras. I was so certain that was something in the distant past, but there it is. A position very likely stimulated and massaged after reading a rather wonderful historical biography of Dorothea Lange. I haven't gone forth street shooting in thirty years, but interestingly enough, I used a twins lens most effectively back then. There are reasons for that.

A photographer in public draws attention. Just putting a camera to your face alters the scene with the subjects reacting in variant ways to different degrees when seeing said camera pointed at them. A twin lens sort of hangs about solar plexus high, and someone looking down, fidgeting with something draws so much less attention and scrutiny. That isn't the reason for going back to film. As I've noted numerous times, I have little talent with digital manipulation, beyond density range & tonal structure adjustments. Thirty years ago, I didn't  like a lot of shadows in my images. I pushed the negative densities up towards the shoulder, to eliminate shadow and increase detail. Now, I'm finding myself seeing my images in the opposition direction, moving the densities down to the toe, adding lots of shadows, and blacks. That takes a few alterations to the ISO setting, developer and development time.

My choice for a camera was simple, buy something that works and is cheap. I want a small, light camera that doesn't draw attention. If it has shutter speeds and apertures that's all I need. The best street shot I ever got was the image I printed in The Flute Player. I stalked that mime for several minutes before everything came together. Being at a Renaissance Fair stalking is pretty easy to get away with, when dealing with characters in costume. The don't mine, usually. With the right angle shot identity becomes obscure and an image of an unidentified person can be printed for personal use.

The camera I used for that shot was an old Argus Argoflex, probably made in the forties. The camera that crossed my path recently was an Argus Argoflex E, a bit newer model, with more advanced lens movements & settings. That set me back $25. The first camera I found was a RICOHFLEX Model VI, made in 1959. That one set me back $26. Not sure which iteration it is, yet, as it's on its way as I write this. It was very clean and apparently functions. Both of course will need a roll for testing, for light leaks and mechanical functioning. If all works, then I'm on to various areas of the city for a walkabout.

New vintage camera #1; RICOHFLEX VI ~ Vintage 1959















Argus Argoflex E; probably Vintage 1959







No comments:

Post a Comment