Thursday, December 27, 2018

"The Portrait Stool" ~ Gum over Palladium Print

The newest gum over palladium print is another image I have long wanted to print. The photo was taken thirty five years ago, in what was to become a home studio, a framed in carport. The window was selected for portrait possibilities. Turned out to be a prescient thought as there were many to come from that window, on that stool. That was before I acquired a large commercial studio space some years later.

This print required ten layers of color to arrive at the color and depth needed to make this image work. Unfortunately, the biggest hurdle in showing this image is getting it to look like the original  print, and the biggest hurdle to that is I'm pretty much color blind to many of the colors applied. I don't actually see the red colors coming through the blues & ultramarine blues lain over them. The digital camera that copies said prints wants to show middle tones and detail, based upon color temperature (6500K) and hopefully indirect (north light) for copying. Still there never look like the original.

For those that have followed along through the last dozen or more prints, posted here, you will notice changes to my technique, color applications, as I continue to stray from direct realism, through gum application and the color pallet of that print. Those colors continue to expand to  include colors I had not used before, various shades of different colors, allowing me to have more options of color choice and transparency. I abandoned the standard CYMK printing venue some time ago. I am not all that drawn to 'true' colors of a scene, as normally seen every day, but variations of colors that create a mood of the setting. Being I am printing theoretically, it keeps things interesting. I do run a print through my color metric analysis person, whom sees the fuller spectrum of color, and is a watercolor artist, thus bringing excellent insights to subtractive color theory.

Gum over Palladium Print
"The Portrait Stool" ~ 8x10 ~ Unique
Eugene, Oregon ~ 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment