Friday, July 2, 2021

"Morning Ritual Pair" ~ Gum Dichromate Print

This particular gum print was made strictly for my wife. The original "Morning Ritual" print was a beloved female cat named Zoey. These two monkeys, in kitty suits, are brother and sister, taking over the morning ritual, when the weather permits. 

My recent gum prints have been very light handed, as I refer to it. Falling just slightly into the paper, as a softer image, compared ot a more boldly printed image. The early morning light was what I was after when making this print, always printing for the reciprocal density zone of the negative; for print time. I find my printing is affected by my take on the image to be printed. Each image having some sort of emotional connection to the printer, which can be said to be why it was chosen. The soft touch images have their place, but I find myself wanting a richer depth of color, something I will be working on with the two images I am working on now. Each one has its own challenges.

This gum has eight print layers, using thirteen colors. More than two weeks in the making, including paper preparations, of five days. After years of printing gums, there are still things to be learned. The only boundaries of this process, are within the printer.

Gum Dichromate Print

"Morning Ritual Pair" 8"x10"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment