Friday, December 24, 2021

"Two Ponies Wild" ~ Gum over Gold toned Kallitype

    I have begun printing again, after a lengthy hiatus, the passing of my wife, and the two gum prints I had near finish, yet lost focus and ended up tossing them both, with them not what I had in mind. This is the first of the fresh prints, a four color gum run over a gold toned Kallitype. I base the process to be used, gum, or gum over, dependent on the image, how each process would likelyrepresent the image. For these horses, I chose gum over. I also printed the image in socium acetate, for a cool black image, instead of the warm browner image of developing in sodium citrate.

I based the gum over colors to a basic CYMK, with the toned b&w image as the K run, as base coat, then followed by cadmium yellow, then quinacridone magenta, and finally turquoise. To accommodate the various tonal ranges, best suited for each color applied, I used print time. The longest print time being for the sky, at nine minutes, leaving the soft blue as the dominant color. The ponies were in a print range of seven minutes or less, needing less light for permanence. 

Gum over Gold toned Kallitype

"Two Ponies Wild" ~ 8x10

Open Range, Eastern Arizona


 

No comments:

Post a Comment