Wednesday, May 25, 2022

"Bella with Hat" ~ Gum over Palladium print

 This print won't go into the portfolio. It is destined to hang on my son and his wife's wall; his eldest daughter, my granddaughter, age five at the time. This was a special print for me, being who it was I was capturing on paper. The image wasn't difficult to print, being the elements printed out well using the standard CYMK formula; the palladium print being the K layer, then cyan [turquoise], cadmium yellow, then quinacridone magenta the third layer.

The image wasn't quite right with the overall color, what I could perceive of it anyway, so I asked my daughter, who sees the fuller color spectrum, what overall color she saw of the print. She said "platinum", which told me that the image was neutral, so, I added a layer of raw umber, in a shear mix, to represent skin tones, and warm the print overall. The final color layer was applied to her hat, using violet, again, in a fairly shear mix, enough hopefully that the color can be discerned by the viewer. I have to confess I don't really see that color, just the added depth of the image from the added color layer. I was also told, there is a small streak of red on her. Well, I still am unable to see it. That would have derived of the magenta run. A signature of the printer, color blind to red/green.

Gum  over Palladium Print

"Bella with Hat"



No comments:

Post a Comment