Wednesday, February 1, 2023

"River Overlook" ~ Gum over Palladium

 The time intervals between posting a finished print becomes much longer, working with gum prints. That, of course has to do with the multiple layers needed for a finished print. This print has ten color layers on the original palladium print. I mention it more often lately, being nearly color blind to red/green, for obvious reasons. When I can 'see' red on the print, it is going to be RED And that, tends to be off-putting to some viewers. Some see the 'bizarre like color schemes I end up with as some unique to said printer.

Forty years ago, when I owned a gallery for fine art b&w photographers, gallery visitors would query of a print's 'worth'. An example being a young couple viewing a Fred Byrom 4"x5" platinum/palladium print for $50, asking "what is it and what's it worth". I cover print collect-ability and increased value over time, yada yada, to young ears, was, 'who cares?', thus, they marched down to the craft store up the street and bought a framed poster for their $50.

Truth be told, I'm simply not seeing the reds I left in the background, with exception to the more obvious parts. So, why  do I do this? Long story, but suffice it to say, it gives me pleasure. I don't print for 'now', as the draw to buying 'art' has been given over to digital inkjet prints in open editions; archival posters. A gum over palladium print lasts as long as the rag strata it rests on, which archivally has an expected life of a thousand years. My  thought, being any print of mine that make their way two or three or more centuries from now, will have a lot different reception than they do now.

I have close long time friends, painter and graphic artist and fellow photographer who sees all the colors, that I show the print images to for their insights. I capture the print images using a Canon 50D camera,  I definitely hear about the red thing from them. This print may or may not make it into the showing portfolios, but it was very instructive of the new technique I am attempting to employ. That technique is an attempt to replicate some of the principles of Impressionism, that of shears layers of color overlapping other colors to create the capture of light more than textural detail. That is unlikely for my uses, but the base element of overlapping colors is possible, If, I can get the colors right. The color thing is my weakest point.

This image is overlooking the Colorado river, looking east. The day was overcast, with interesting colors forming low in the sky. My printing isn't for replicating what the camera records, but what I visualize aesthetically. The light is everything, with the Pictorial Effect in mind. Not Pictorialism of Stieglitz' time, but the 'effect' of lighting on the scene creating a mood. Well, that's the intent. But that's my perception of it. Question remaining, being the viewers. Just so you know, after clearing the dichromate from the print, I could definitely see the reds.

Gum over Palladium Print

"River Overlook" ~ 8"x10"

Grand Canyon, Arizona



No comments:

Post a Comment