Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Tombstone Portfolio

The testing of density range and print time is finished. I have arrived at what I believe is the optimal print time, and the finished print image is what I had envisioned. Once again I made three palladium toned prints in one print run. I consider that a pretty successful print session. These three well scaled negatives left reciprocal full scaled prints with 8 minute print times. Much less needs to be said about the final print beyond the tonal scale representing what I had in mind for the subject.

The OK Corral is the heart of Tombstone, the consummate story of how grudges were settled in the old west. My photographer's eye was always seeking dynamic opportunities with historical characters and scenes, when I see that opportunity approaching most signs of modernity can be eliminated as well, sometimes all, as in these shots. I haven't altered the natural signage.

The image I have most wanted to capture was the OK Corral, with Doc Holliday, bright sunshine outside and the Doc & woman character in the shade are both fully scaled. The new formula for scaling the negative has shown six prints in a row all print between 5 minutes and 10 minutes, most at 8 minutes. The variation mostly comes from personal interpretation of the print, and expectation of changes in the print due to lightening and darkening, respectively. I decided to error on the lighter side, leaving a Zone 7 white at Zone 8, say. Careful note taking helps when printing the image again.

The new negative accommodated for the roof & building facade brilliant sunlight as well as the deep shadowed area underneath the porch. Keeping the light effect on the woman's sleeve, and the crisp white took some tweaking. In the print, there is a full tonal range underneath the porch, as well as above. A good example of a compaction.

Palladium toned Salted Silver Print
"OK Corral" ~ 8"x10" ~ 1/5
Tombstone, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment