Friday, June 2, 2017

Palladium toned Kallitype

This print would have been the second to last image to complete the portfolio I've been printing over the past months, which would have been mere weeks sans the many obstacles challenging this goal. Having looked over the portfolio, and subsequent images that are to come in a second portfolio, I have come to realize that this portfolio is made up of prints of Tombstone. Future images to come will include other images shot in Arizona, so I will be referring to this portfolio as the Tombstone Portfolio.

This print was made with one of the three new negatives printed, once I was able to get one of the printers to do its job. The density range of these new negatives are optimal for printing a Kallitype, as I have found the sweet spot for print time to be 12 minutes. I have found it takes ten  minutes for the blacks to reach dMax. Zone 7 is fully printed in at that time. As long as I keep to this density range there is no need for intermittent checking of the print in progress to see how the tonal ranges are doing. I just know to set the print time to 12 minutes and let it run. That, is very welcome news for the printer.

I have printed this image before. Twice, and each print showed a small flaw, somewhere in the image. Keeping with tradition, this print also showed a flaw in the street part of the image, a negative scratch that got by me after printing the negative, showing up as a deep black 'stick' laying in the street. Too smooth and too black to be a stick, and an eyesore when looking at the image. Much closer inspection of the negative will be forthcoming. I have yet to arrive at a suitable toning solution to use on acetate film, but I haven't given up on that adventure. As can been seen, I cleaned up the flaw in the print, for this viewing.

Palladium toned Kallitype
"Main Street Tombstone" ~ 8x10 ~ 1/5
Tombstone, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment