Monday, July 17, 2017

New Kallitype ~ Portfolio II

Slowly I am adding to the new portfolio; Portfolio II. For now. I am still waiting the arrival of the new scanner, and until I can begin scanning negatives again, I am limited to the images I am able to print at this time. One of the realities of digitally captured images is their format; 8x12 instead of the film standard of 8x10. I shoot edge to edge, only including what I want in the final image, cropped for the structure and flow of the image. Lopping off two inches of an image does bad things to the image structure. If I were a Photoshop type a guy there is always potential for expanding the canvas size then filling in the two inches on either side of the image for re-cropping. You haven't seen my efforts at this, over several attempts. Best to keep that to myself.

I printed this image some months ago, when I was working with palladium toned prints, toning this image in palladium, and immediately realized it wasn't the right treatment for this particular image. What I though it needed was developing in sodium acetate to form the cool black and white image I was after, then toned it a straight gold toner; 5ml gold chloride ~ 5g citric acid ~ 1000ml DH20
I will be trying out gold/thiocyanate toning formula that purports to replace most of the silver salts with gold, leaving a near gold plated image. Worth trying out.

This print is a gold toned Kallitype; developed in sodium acetate then gold toned. The image was made from a digital negative and printed on Pictorico Ultra Premium OHC acetate film.

Gold toned Kallitype
"Lilies" ~ 8x10 ~ 1/5
Tucson, Arizona























No comments:

Post a Comment