Sunday, October 15, 2017

New Images ~ Platinum/Palladium printing

My apologies to those who have been visiting this page over the past couple weeks, seeing no new material or new prints. I've been driving over to Las Cruces to help out an old photography friend who had open heart surgery. Big deal at our age. That would be David Shaw, whom hung in my gallery in Eugene, Oregon thirty years ago. At the time he worked mostly with silver gelatin prints, however I still have his platinum print of "Penelope", a photo view of a classic MG, with men's straw hat hanging on the mirror.

I have been utilizing what time I have as best as one can while on the run from one place to another. The tool for this is my old trusty Canon 20D, shooting in the black & white mode. Even has color filters, like the 23A or No25 red filters, also the green, yellow and blue. That could actually make for a good article, covering the tonal shifts in b&w using color filters. Speaking for myself, I rarely use a color filter, and when I do it's usually always the red filter, for the deep tonal shift in the sky and whitening of existing clouds.

An image that made itself available while I was in Mesilla, New Mexico, walking around the downtown square. The buildings that make up most of that area were built well before I was born, and that says something. Old adobe buildings and home, with old weathered wood just all over the place. Just makes you proud to be a photographer. A sample of one such shot is of a store front just off the main square. What made this shot worthy, for me, was the lighting. Just happened to be there at the right time, as I've stood on that street many times before. This is a digital image. Soon, it will become a platinum/palladium image. The goal of course, is matching this image's tonal range.

"Store Front"
Mesilla, New Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment