Tuesday, May 15, 2018

"Adley on the Stump II" ~ Final Print

The fourth and final gum color layer was applied this morning. Again, this was a split color print layer. The final two colors were Cadmium Yellow and Quinacridone Gold. The yellow was applied only on the orange that was on her basket and the piece Adley was eating, A sheer layer of yellow not to disturb the texture. The final color added was the gold, which was meant to show the late afternoon warm sunlight in the background area with the grasses and most notably on the stump on which Adley was seated, as it showed that warm color most.

Probably the biggest problem I have with color here is the fidelity of the digital replication of the original print. Being I don't see all the colors in the print, is the clue that I might not see a color shift, affecting hue, or color temperature say. I do my best though, and if I'm not at least fairly certain the colors do match between original print and what I am posting, I call in my color guru for confirmation. That be my sweet wife who's a painter. She sees the full spectrum.

I am happy with the finished print, having guided it to its final color version. When I began making gum prints and gum over silver prints thirty five years ago I was much heavier handed with the pigments. I was also printing from paper negatives, which have a much shorter density range than what can be done with film or digital acetate sheets. I keep a very light touch with pigment use, preferring too thin over too much, not only for textural qualities but for subtlety of use; the Makeup Rule.

What the viewer takes away from the image is not necessarily having anything to do with the intent of the printer. In this instance, the warmth of the sunshine, from low in the sky lit up certain elements of the scene, although the subject was wearing bluish gray clothing. A play on cool and warm tones, which I tend to focus on as one element of the print's intent. The use of color to separate elements in the image. Obviously, this is my take on that. I only hope the fidelity of the digital image matches the original.

Gum over Palladium Print
"Adley on the Stump II" ~ 8x10 ~ Unique
Eugene, Oregon (back yard portrait spot)

No comments:

Post a Comment