Wednesday, May 23, 2018

"Jars in the Window" ~ Faulty Print

The worst possible ending to any finished print, is to arrive at the final clearing, and simply not like what you see.  The gum work turned out mostly as planned, color wise. The problem with the print is in the original printing of the image. What I didn't detect at first was the change in the print shadows, showing a sort of bronzing effect, when there should have been no such effect. Testing of the chemicals involved in making the print showed the problem to be in the ferric oxalate. Fresh chemicals later showed a perfect print after a new print test.

What that all means is the print is junk. The upside of this is I have the road map of the printing sessions fulling described in my print book notes. Every print made has extensive notes on the procedural application, chemistry, print time, float time, colors used & how mixed and where placed, even the day printed. Just for this reason. First order of business for printing is, don't get in a hurry. I'm not broken hearted this printing wasn't to my liking, however I am rather annoyed I missed what was happening before I spent a week on the print. Paying attention with your head in the game is really important. The problem with the print is mostly in the shadows, which shows up a lot more in the print, than in the replication of the print. Now I begin again, from the beginning.

Gum over Palladium
"Jars in the Window" ~ not to be used

No comments:

Post a Comment