Monday, November 4, 2019

"Malecon de Progreso" ~ Palladium Print

A second print of the Mexico series. Same process as the first one, as are the next ones to come. I am working with the lighting of each print to get as close as possible to the feel of the original experience.

I have scaled up the negative size and begun printing to 11"x14" for these images. Something I have been wanting to do for awhile. When I scaled up with the palladium prints I also scaled up for the gum printing as well, and now print to 11"x14" in my gums, which I might add I just printed the final layer of colors this afternoon. That new gum is now done and ready for clearing tomorrow and final flatten. I am pretty happy with it, as I have not only scaled up the size but altered the printing approach altogether.

I am no longer interested in printing reality, in 'natural colors'. A gum dichromate (bichromate) print is a photographic watercolor. The principle is laying watercolor mixtures over each other using a clear substrata. The same as layering watercolor washes over each other, using the principle of subtractive color theory. Different from reflected color principles. Therefore I approach the process as a watercolor artist would, applying color(s) where needed. What I am after is something akin to Impressionism, not so much the stylistically applied but the overlapping of several colors to create a color scheme. The theory is replicating light as an "Impression" of the thing seen. Well, that takes time to get the hang of. My first attempt wasn't all that bad. I'm pretty happy with it. Did I already say that?

Palladium toned Kallitype ~ Unique
"Malecon de Progreso" ~ 11"x14"
Progreso, Yucatan

No comments:

Post a Comment