Sunday, September 25, 2022

"Soldier at Rest" ~ Palladium toned Kallitype

 This image was one of the more difficult images to print. The contrast was extreme, although looiing at the original image didn't show that to be the case. The light falling on the soldier's uniform is so much denser than the soldier's face, not the normal one-stop difference between skin tones at zone 6, and primary highlights at zone 7. There is a three stop difference in this imae. Not easy to  arrive at a good print. Well, to my liking anyway.

I continue to print on Hahnemuhle Platinum rag, developing in sodium citrate, toning in 5% palladium toning solution. That also included a smidgen of citric acid to said toning solution. I was able to get access to these characters, because I bivouacked with them for the full seven days of the reenactments, living right in their camp. Not much different when shooting wild animals, in that, once hung out all the time, before long they began to realize I didn't pose a threat. Instead, I befriended them, to 'capture' their character, and every single player there was in character, and never, ever, came out of character while there.

I photographed as they told me stories of their character, where she/he lived, family and what they would do after the war; click.

Palladium toned Kallitype

"Soldier at Rest"

Salem, Oregon 1990


No comments:

Post a Comment