Friday, March 10, 2017

New Paladium Print

There is usually always resistance to any given endeavor, good or bad. I am still awaiting the arrival of the sodium bisulfite for the clearing bath needed to clear the dichromate stain from the gum prints. Can't do much until it arrives. I also continue to wait for my printer repair, having a new print head installed. After almost two weeks, and two new print heads ordered and installed, both proved to be defective. The nice man at my computer shop soaked my old print head overnight just in case it proves effective in clearing up the black nozzle, which is the one not firing. Time will be the arbiter of how that turns out.

Without means of clearing the two finished gum prints, and no printer to print new negatives, I reprinted two Kallitypes that I've been working on for the Arizona Portfolio. Both negatives for these images were printed after the problem with the print head, coming out too thin to be functionally viable for silver printing. The Kallitype process enhances the outcome adding a bit of contrast and deepening the blacks. A coating error on my part showed up in the one print in the form of an area where the sensitized solution wasn't fully coated in one circular area. Center of the lamppost of course. Both of the negatives for these images will be reprinted once I have a functioning printer again.

When photographing Tombstone proper, for this portfolio, I have taken much care in capturing the historical aspect of the town, hopefully capturing some of the local participant actors representing characters of historical nature as well, without the inclusion of modernity when possible. That required several trips to Tombstone, spending hours in patient wait for just the right moment to accomplish this task. It was worth the wait, as I have over a dozen images to print for this portfolio, along with a few images from the historic town of Jerome, Arizona.

Palladium toned Kallitype
"Main Street Tombstone" ~ 8x10 (unfinished print)
Tombstone, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment