Thursday, September 7, 2017

New Kallitype Print ~ Portfolio II

Once again returning to the Kallitype portfolio printing after switching over to the portfolio of 5x7 platinum/palladium print portfolio, has been instructive. That means a jump from digital negatives to original film negatives with long density ranges, respectively. Now I am back to using digital negatives, and have found a good method of printing those negatives to a consistent density range that will give me an average print time of 10-12 minutes. That is the sweet spot for a Kallitype, for me.

This image is one I have wanted to print for over a year now. The original negative was a 6cmx9cm format, shot with a Century Graflex 6x9 that I did a lot of portraits of children. The old fashioned camera setup, with dark cloth seemed to fascinate them long enough to get off a couple shots before they became bored and began moving about. I have printed digital negatives for this image several times before, with the original intent on printing this image as a salt paper print, using the same process formula I always had; 13% silver solution to 2 1/2% salted paper. That combination demands a lot of density to acquire a decently scaled image. For whatever reason, whenever I made that print the image would solarize, mostly around the subject. No, I haven't a clue. I would make a wild guess that when I was expanding the density range in the software I moved the printable range of that density area out of printable bounds for an RGB image, thereby the solarization. Unless one of you readers has a  more brilliant observation, we'll go with that one.

This image printed very nicely at 10 minutes. Just as I had hoped. I used the sodium acetate developer to keep the image a cool black, then gold toned the print to ensure the cool rich blacks. As all my other images, I use the same Revere Platinum paper, usually always the rougher, open side. I tend to like the textural quality of the image on that side.
This visual area for this print works better a bit smaller than I normally post. Works better when the entire image can be seen.

Gold toned Kallitype
"Adley on the Stump" ~ 8x10 ~ 1/5
Eugene, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment