Tuesday, February 8, 2022

"Sunset Avra Valley" ~ Gum Dichromate Print

 This is not the first printing of this image. This is one of those images that must be interpreted before the printing, decisions on colors to use, color layer order and other choices to be made that take the print in a definite direction. I didn't like the direction the other prints were going. Making the command decision to abort a print and start all over, most times is painful, considering the time invested in a gum print. The five days of paper preparations before beginning, then another day for every printed color layer. So, when two weeks have been invested, it's worse than a hang-nail.

The colors I laid on this print were more subtle, until reaching the final two colors of a seven color run. Those final layers left the two primary colors I wanted seen; red(s) and golden light (yellow ochre) for the shaft of light coming through the clouds. it's worth repeating, that I am pretty much color blind to red/green. Thus, finishing a print in red is a bit dicey for me. I can say, if I can see the red on the print, it's red.

Gum dichromate Print ~ Unique

"Sunset Avra Valley" ~ 8"x10"

Avra Valley, Arizona


No comments:

Post a Comment