Friday, February 4, 2022

"Grandpa's Chopping Block" ~ Gum over Palladium Print

 This print will likely be the final one in the Grandpa's Cabin series. Each were 11x14 gum ov3r palladium prints, with exception to the original Grandpa's Cabin, which was all gum. This print is a three color gum run over the base palladium print. I used Turquoise, cadmium yellow and quinacridone magenta as the three colors; basically the CYM, with the K being the palladium print.

I have been using the spray dried powder gum Arabic that has become the standard of gum these days, with exception to the pre-mixed gum in the liter. That gum density is 14 balm which is roughly equal to 37% gum solution. I  mix my gum at 50%. I'm noticing that the color layers fall into the paper mor than I like. After eyars of searching, I found raw gum crystals online and purchased a kilo, which I have melted and used. It is much sticker and viscous than the spray powder. The reasons for that are better explained by a chemist. What I can say of it is I am back to the gum I was once  used to. Right after I received this new raw gum I saw another listing for raw bum in the large whole chunks. Even better. I purchased another kilo of that raw gum. I will never need commercial spray dried gum ever again.

Gu over Palladium ~ Unique

"Grandpa's Chopping Block" 11"x14"


No comments:

Post a Comment