Tuesday, April 18, 2023

"Tombstone Marshals" ~ Palladium toned Kallitype

 I have been keeping my focus on gum  printing of late, due to the time it takes to make them. A simple gum print takes about two weeks to complete, from paper treatment to final clearing and rinse. A more complex image becomes far more complicated to print, and can take up to six weeks to bring it to fruition. A Palladium  print can be made in an afternoon.

The reason for said focus on gum printing is due to my recent membership in a local gallery, and subsequent need for a continued supply of prints to exhibit therein. A hiatus from exhibiting my prints for the past forty years, since they hang in my gallery, in Eugene Oregon. With one exception, to agreeing to hang in a fellow photographer's gallery in Mesilla, New Mexico, a couple years ago. The write up in the local paper, started out; "Come see the Dinosaur!". That be me. showing prints made of a process more thana century old. Yep, that'd be me.

This palladium print was first printed last year. An image I had wanted to print when I began printing the images from the Tombstone portfolio. The images of that portfolio were taken over a ten year span, photographing forays in  Tombstone. The images were achieved by being in the right place at the right time, to be able to exclude any modernity; no cars or turistas. Only people [reenactors] in period dress, horse drawn wagons, stagecoach, and gun  fighter types. The Palladium  process came into being in the 1870's, and was in practical use before the OK Corral gun battle took place. A proper photographic form  to showcase Tombstone history.

Palladium toned Kallitype

"Tombstone Marshalls" 11"x14"

Tombstone, Arizona



No comments:

Post a Comment