Saturday, April 29, 2023

"Wagon Team" ~ Gum Dichromate Print

 As do most gum prints, this print took a good amount of time to build up the textural detail, without losing the light quality on the horses. Something I am more focused on these days. The images I am drawing upon for printing tend to be eclectic, being gum printing is so personal, and unique, that for me, each image is printed as a one time thing, and the outcome should match what I previsualized it to be.

Okay, that's  a squishy gray area of determination. So many factors to consider, such as is it worthy of keeping even though it turned out to be something slightly different than planned, and, do I really want to start over and spend several more weeks at it? Questions.

Being I use a single b&w negative; printed by my Epson 1430 13x19 printer. An amazing printer of all the Epson printers I've had over the years. I use the  CYMK protocol of color selection; basically. I also add my own color mixtures, as well as locally applied colors, however, not done on this print. this print was a nine color layer print, shear enough to build up textural detail while retaining the light quality. That, of course also requires fairly precise print times, float times, and water temperature. All of which demands practice. Lots of it.

Gum Dichromate Print

"Wagon Team"

Tombstone, Arizona




No comments:

Post a Comment