Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Kalitype Print ~ Old Negative ~ Palladium Toned

As comparison to the newly printed negative of Miller's Store, posted yesterday, this Kallitype was made from one of the first digital negatives PJ printed for me on his very large Epson printer. That was before we began employing spectral density to the negatives, which, it turns out is mostly due to the prototype printer that PJ now owns. As I noted in the last post the negatives needed to have some something to add to the print time, as without the spectral density, print times on silver were but a scant few minutes, and for me, not a print time with image control. I probably shouldn't have said that, as the question will surely arise as to what the hell that might mean.

I have printed this image before, as a salted silver, with the problem for me at the time being it printed flat and needed much more density range. We were printing in sunlight at the time. There was much less predictability with that procedure. Of course it was the only way I had for printing thirty years ago and I did just fine. This image will be part of the Arizona Portfolio, once I have a final print. This one isn't entirely to my liking, and with a new negative I can correct the issues. One thing I can say at this time is that I will be reducing the density of the spectral density used on the negatives, to bring the print time down just a bit.


Palladium toned Kallitype
"Old Jerome Hotel"   ~ 8x10 (not a finished print)
Jerome, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment