Friday, February 24, 2017

Kallitypes from Thinner Negatives

The second negative printed with the Pictorico seems to me visually thinner than even the first negative of Doc Holliday. That means more work with the printing side of things. If it turns out that the Kodak printer has reached its limit of laying down ink on acetate, then, for now, I will be focusing on Kallitype printing, until perhaps I rejigger the silver/salt formula to handle thinner negatives. That too.

For whatever reason, that at the moment seemed a good idea, I added another minute to the print time, after printing the Doc Holliday print. Hence, the final image is a bit dark for my taste. It is a good beginning for a final print to come, however. A number of the images in this portfolio were taken in Tombstone, during different photo ventures, with the intent of reducing or eliminating the vestiges of modernity, as much as was possible with visitors in town. Turns out I was able to accomplish that, over time. The image below is Main Street, I believe looking north. I will soon be printing a view of Main Street looking south.

The negatives printed with the Kodak are fairly consistent in print time, at this time 8 minutes. This image was given 9 minutes. No explanation for why of that. The print was developed in sodium acetate developer (black developer) and cleared in a bath of EDTA, before being toned in palladium, then fixed and cleared before final washing.

Palladium toned Kallitype
"Main Street" ~ 8x10 ~ (unfinished print)
Tombstone, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment