Thursday, February 23, 2017

New Negatives ~ New Kallitype Prints

The packet of Pictorico acetate sheets has finally arrived. Very good news, being I printed the last of the possible negatives on hand. The Kodak printer is a bottom feed, and I can only imagine it loops over a roller system then printed on the outside, which would be the bottom. Apparently not. Feeding the sheets in with the rounded corner on the left top, indicating the treated print side is facing you, begets ink running all over what should be the treated side. Rounded corner on the left. Visual inspection of the sheet indicates to me that the above is back asswards. The filmy side looks to me to be facing me when the rounded corner is on the top left. I'm not thinking this is just me. It either works or it doesn't.

Nonetheless, flipping the sheet over gave me a fairly nice negative image, although visually, it appears thinner than how the image looks on a screen. Also noticeable is this negative appears a bit thinner than the first one I printed. This may be due to having also put in new ink cartridges. Another variable to figure in the calculus. In the end, the negative printed. Seeing the densities of the negative showed me that trying a salted silver print would end up flat, as before, so for now the new negatives will be Kallitype negatives. They would also be very nice gum negatives.

The first print is of Tombstone's Doc Holliday. I met him just stepping off the street, onto the boardwalk during a visit and invited his participation by telling him how smashing he looked as Doc Holliday. He posed I snapped and told him I would be bringing a likeness of him in a palladium print one day. That day is closing in swiftly.

Palladium toned Kallitype
"Doc Holliday" ~ 8x10 ~ 1/5
Tombstone, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment