Monday, August 28, 2017

Final Print in "Oregon Portfolio"

Once I began making palladium prints, it was a rebirth of printing spirits for me. Adding to that the recent discovery of the Na2 process using platinum, I really have little interesting in printing in any other medium, save gum. Anyone having visited this blog know first hand my feeling for platinum/palladium printing being the grail of hand coated printmaking. I announce it here that I will complete the Gold toned Kallitype print portfolio I had begun, before the palladium periood.

This image is the final addition to the Oregon Portfolio of 5x7 platinum/palladium prints. These negatives were all shot thirty years using my Burke & James 5x7 flatbed view camera. The one I use today, well, actually next week. This image is the second shot taken of a gimme shot. The first image I have posted before. This second image continues the theme of the sailboat on the canal. The first image I have is of the canal itself, without any sailboat. The point of this shot was testing a new developer; (Windish) pyro/OH. This was the first image using this new formula. I took the shot to test how well the foreground would show up when shooting directly into the sun, seen on the horizon, to the right of the sailboat. Just as I clicked the shutter on that image I hear the putt putt of the sailboat's motor, as it came out of the refuge area and turned into the canal.

This is the second shot I got off having quickly replaced the dark slide on the first shot, flipping over the cut film holder, pulling out the dark slide and resetting the lens, I got off this shot before it sailed out of sight. I have only shown this/these two images together, as a diptych, as together they make up an image greater than either of them would alone.

Film; Kodak Super XX (250/125)
Developed; Pyro/OH 12 minutes
Paper; Revere Platinum (smooth side)
Printed; Palladium ~ Direct Sun ~ 3 minutes
Developer; Ammonium Citrate
(First image ~ same film/treatment

"Sailboat on Canal" ~ Two Images ~ As a Diptych
















No comments:

Post a Comment