Tuesday, August 22, 2017

New Platinum/Palladium prints

The printing work on the new portfolio continues with two added images from that 5x7 series. These are the same images I printed thirty years ago, in the salt paper process. The close resemblance between those original silver images and the ones I'm printing today in platinum/palladium is fairly amazing to me. I see the Pt/Pd images a bit richer, deeper blacks and a bit better tonal separation over the silver prints.

These negatives are also don't have the density range of the earlier negatives I've been printing. Those negatives demand a twenty minute print time in full sun, using the 2 drops of 2.5% platinum solution to the palladium mix. The images I'm printing now I'm using 10% platinum solution to boost contrast. The print times are then half of the 20 minute time of the denser negatives.

This print is one I want to get exactly right. This test run was just a bit short of that. This was a twenty  minute print time, using the 2.5% platinum solution added to the palladium mixture; this image will likely need a 23-24 minute print time, full sun.

Negative; Kodak Super XX (250/125) Developed; Pyro/OH (Reformulated Windish) 18 minutes
Platinum/Palladium mix; Pt 2.5% solution (2 drops) ~ Palladium 12 drops ~ Ferric Oxalate 11 drops
Print time 20 minutes ~ Full sun
Paper; Revere Platinum 140# ~ Developer; Ammonium Citrate

"Overlook Cougar Reservoir" Unfinished Print

No comments:

Post a Comment