Monday, July 23, 2018

Girl with Horse ~ Layer 5

I am told by my color guru that the background area with trees is simply not visibly green. More knowledge of subtle color issues, being, the lower tonal ranges, say from zone 4 down, don't show color as much as the upper three tonal ranges, using the same color mixture. The deeper tones need much more pigment to make them that color. The print Tammy's Rose has proven that out. The comments returned from viewing that image is that the print tones were muted, basically neutral in the background. And here I thought I was seeing green. Such is color blindness to red/green.

This print run was focused on strengthening the darker background area with the trees, especially the foliage lighted by direct sunlight, showing as highlights to the surrounding area. I believe I have accomplished that. The rest of the print is where I had intended. The girl's denim shirt and jeans look like worn denim and the lighter grasses in the sunshine, when the dichromate stain is removed, will remain the yellowish color they naturally are at that time of year. The overall color arrangement, as well as the brilliance of the sunshine is left, which was the object of the printing.

I photographed the print just before it was fully dry. The slight wrinkling of the paper shows a streak left from the shine of light across that area in the background. Not in the print.

Gum over Palladium ~ Gum Layer 5 ~ Hooker's Green mixed with Cadmium Yellow
"Girl with Horse" ~ 8x10

No comments:

Post a Comment