Thursday, July 12, 2018

"Tammy's Rose" ~ Finished Print

The final layer, using quinacridone gold, mixed to just sunlight consistency was added to parts of the print, namely the subject's dress and hair, and the lighter grasses in the mid-ground. I thinned a small amount of that gum solution almost in half, to use over the subject's face. I also added a touch of the gold on the brightest highlights on the foliage in the background. It is unlikely that will actually be picked up in the digital copy.

I am happy with the final image, as it retains the brilliant sunshine of the setting, separating the subject from the mid-ground and background. I was able to accomplish that with the subject showing full textural detail, even in the highlights. It is usually my primary interest for the print images to capture the actual light of the setting, holding it right at the place in the scene where light can be seen, by how it reflects on the different surfaces and textures. For those that see the fuller spectrum of color you will notice the red rose being held. Something I am unable to see myself.

Gum over Palladium Print ~ 5 gum print layers
Hahnemühle Paper ~ Pre-shrunk
"Tammy's Rose" ~ 8x10 ~ Unique
Eugene, Oregon


No comments:

Post a Comment