Friday, July 13, 2018

"The Artist" ~ Base Palladium Print

When I began printing again I made up two printing boards, being they are fairly simple and straight forward to make. A simple artist's clipboard for drawing, made of Masonite, and a piece of 3/16" glass a bit larger than the print to be made. Using strapping tape for the glass to board hinge, and you have a printing board, sans the registration system using punch pins. I have yet to be in a rhythm where I could work on two prints simultaneously. Being I'm working on gum layers for "Tammy's Rose" it wouldn't disrupt that rhythm to begin working on a new one.

This is one of those images taken thirty-five years ago, with only one print ever made of it, which at the time was a silver gelatin print, which hangs on my wall above my computer desk. An old friend and artist/musician, working in oils on canvas, and playing keyboard like he was born with it. I also have a very fine hand woven wool art wall hanging he made over the course of a year, by hand, using virgin wool he spun, dyed with natural flowers he ground, from flowers and a beetle for blues. Only his hands, a found stick and naturally ground pigments ever touched that wool. It remains my most coveted art pieces.

This shot was taken in Mark Pope's studio apartment, on a long afternoon of hand weaving, toking and chatting philosophy as was our practice at the time. The days before I found my Burke & James 5x7 view camera I used a Century Graflex 6cmx9cm view camera. The portraits I did at that time were all made with that camera, with exception to the one taken of "Girl with Flower" posted earlier, which was taken with a 30's model of an Argoflex twin lens. I believe it was also developed in Beutler.

Base Palladium Print ~ Hahnemühle Paper (pre-shrunk)
"The Artist" ~ 8x10



No comments:

Post a Comment