Monday, July 16, 2018

"The Artist" ~ Final Print

The final touch of color in this print was quinacridone gold, a color I use often when it is possible to show what light does to a subject in the scene. As my other prints I don't often do a full over gum layer when printing. I separate sections of the image using either color or tonal range differences, reflecting what the light is doing. In this image the primary colors are apparent on the top right and along the bottom, leaving the center area between them almost neutral. I could have used a full over bum layer color application in this scene, leaving the center area a more 'golden' look to it, but for me, separating the two areas by leaving the brightest area between them more neutral, leaving the golden light effect on those two color areas.

The warm toned area is the wood panel behind the subject, with the clothing of the subject a cool tone. It was a gamble coloring the clothing the way I did, as I applied phthalo blue over a yellow ochre, then gold over that. As best as I can perceive, what is left in the print is a pale, worn looking blue/blue green perhaps. The green part would evade my ability to perceive it at any rate, being nearly red/green color blind. What I see is 'warm' or 'cool' effects. Outside that, it's all printed using subtractive color theory. It's up to the viewer to determine if the subject's shirt and jeans are blue, or not.

Gum over Palladium Print ~ 4 gum print layers
Hahnemühle Paper ~ pre-shrunk
"The Artist" ~ 8x10 ~ Unique
Eugene, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment