Friday, August 26, 2016

Experimenting with ISO settings

When I first began controlling the way my photographs looked when printed, it wasn't until I had begun mixing my own developers that I was able to do so with any predictability, and get what I wanted. Moving the ISO (ASA back then) up or down directly shaped the image. Something most of us do at one time or another. For me I took notice of this resultant effect looking at W. Eugene Smith images. Smith shot way down at the toe of the curve, and it would be my observation that this was a result of his lighting limitations at the time, being he was a photo journalist by vocation. You capture what you can in low light situations. What I have no knowledge of is his darkroom practices and procedures so really have no idea of his intentions or tastes.

Seeing Eugene Smith's photos like "Walk to Paradise" see the deep shadows into black with the subjects the lightest subjects in the image. Light subject on dark background was a stylistic technique for painters following Rembrandt. I was not one drawn to this style early on. I learned how to push the contrast index curve up to the shoulder, keeping highlights in textural range. For whatever reason, now I am more drawn to black and white images showing off the toe region.

Using my newly obtained Argoflex twin-lens camera I began earnestly capturing elements too delicious to get away. One being the replica of the original cabin of the historical discoverer of Eugene, Oregon, Eugene Skinner. It sits atop Skinner's butte just north of the town of Eugene. A very nice spot from which to capture local images.

Camera; Argoflex twin-lens     Negative; Ilford FP-4 rated ISO 125 Developed in Beutler 105

Silver Gelatin Print ~ "Skinner's Cabin"
1983 ~ 8"x10" ~ Private collection
Skinner's Butte ~ Eugene, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment