Saturday, August 27, 2016

Revolving Subjects ~ The Why

I originally began this blog to write about black and white film and historical hand coated photographic processes. Since I began this blog I've been doing just that. Along the way there were a couple requests for developmental issues having to do with the negative, related to silver gelatin printing. Or any printing really. I have done so, using my own silver gelatin prints as example. As any blogger comes to realize immediately, there is just so much information on one subject. I am trying really, really hard not to get into the textbook mode of writing. But then how to lay out a case and explain the components without coming off as talking down to the readers, prancing.

I do stray from the focal theme of hand coated processes with issues having to do with photo chemistry and negatives, being that is the basis of all black and white printing. This subject is also what my book on black and white photo chemistry is all about. I try to keep away from commercial proselytizing on that count, but it does cover the subject, as I do on the blog. Photo chemistry is in my view the framework of black and white printing.

If you believe understanding the contrast index curve or density range is no longer necessary, or simply unneeded any longer, it remains alive and well, in digital form. Ask Dan Burkholder how important the density range is to printing. He's spent twenty years writing and printing using his contrast index theory using the "Curves" function in Photoshop. Curves, are Curves, done through texture texts and measured or altered using a mouse and cursor. The function is the same. Now that would make a useful article.... (next)

Unfortunately, I get very little feedback from visitors. I can only see the numbers, as a graph, which doesn't tell me a thing about said visitors. Are they the same visitors, am I addressing the subjects they want to read, should I stray from time to time for demonstration or interest.....?? What feedback I do get is encouraging, being there remain stalwart photographers of the black and white group, keeping the craft alive. A subsection of that larger group remains interested in hand coating methods, and I want to keep those individuals happy. I appreciate all forms of black and white photography but am firmly in the hand coated camp as a printer. Currently speaking.

Hope you enjoy the posts, and can take away something useful.




No comments:

Post a Comment