Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Photographic Field Work

The post title sounds like I will be fully documenting the dig at Machu Picchu for a week. Truth be told, my field work will be on a breed of daredevil types referred to as dedicatus Optimimasticus Raceras, otherwise known as racing freaks at the world speed week on the Bonneville salt flats. This is not my first run around the proverbial block, for the speed trials or the photographic part.

My oldest friend, sent me a box of 35mm developing items, which I found intriguing at the time and immediately put tp use, thereby coming over to the black and white side. That was 1980. We've been good friends ever since. My friend and I traveled for some years through various states finding different points of interest to photograph, like Mt. St. Helens after it blew. Sitting eighteen miles due south of the eruption point gave us a view of immense devastation that was sobering.

This same friend also brought me over from riding Japanese motorcycles to riding BMW, 1975 R90/6 to be specific. That was my last motorcycle, which I rode for twenty years, capping fifty one years of riding. My friend Harry is also a master mechanic and basically a tool & die and pretty much a mechanical engineer. If a part doesn't exist he'll custom make it. He also holds eleven world speed records for 750cc class motorcycles with sidecar on his 1975 R75/6 and his own air wing side car.

That is where I come in. I am his photographer, videographer, second mechanic and chase driver. The rains have washed out the past two  years of all events. The big boys are lining up with cars exceeding 400 mph, one of which was twelve years in the design and making, and engine developing over 2500 horse power and can reach 550 mph. Harry, he just needs to reach 160 mph to run the board and take back all his world records. New light read electronic ignition, larger turbo and custom gear box that allows him to reach 189 mph.

I still carry my Canon 20D, shoot in RAW with largest jpg set on black and white, green tinted image and sometimes red filter for dramatic sky. If I desire a color image of one of the cars I have the RAW image. I have been covering his speed runs for years. And for my services, and for being a generally wonderful person, he returns the favor with his amazing talents, which, in this instance will be the rebuilding of my workshop into a custom printing room. He will also be building my 24"x24" UV printing box. I would go back to shooting high school graduations for that kindness. From there I will be able to demonstrate a host of beautiful printing techniques. That is coming.

Tomorrow I will be taking leave to meet up with Harry in Phoenix, for our trip to Windover, Utah for speed week. We will be plunked down in open territory that isn't known for internet connections. Good energy and good printing.


No comments:

Post a Comment