Thursday, August 4, 2016

Roll Film Fun

As I have noted, I am not a purist. A traditionalist perhaps, but not a purist. I tend to break rules and boundaries to see what lies just on the other side of said boundary wall. I do know some photographer who only handle a view camera, shooting only those subjects that lend themselves to this area of photography. One of two conditions allows this ability. That photographer either sells his/her work regularly which pays for everything, or they are wealthy enough to do so without consideration to expense. I was neither, life being what it is. The Photography that paid my way was through roll film applications. I specialized in black and white photography. Advertised it that way. There were takers.

My 'commercial' photography began when the first local rock band had a need for an 8x10 glossy of their band, replete with album cover group shot antics expected of any decent rock band. And, they had $25 in hand to pay for it. When you are a single parent with two hungry kids and no other option for survival, printing up a glossy is fairly titillating. That experience led to the local need for modeling photography, as there wasn't much of that in the area. Before I knew it, I was almost a photographer.....

Because I have intentions of printing this image in hand coated silver, perhaps later in platinum/palladium I will show it in its silver gelatin format. The image was taken right after I had built in the studio space out of my existing car port, and was testing the light with the developer I was using. You'll notice that theme became rampant. This image was taken with an old Argoflex Twin Lens camera, using Tri-X developed in Beutler 105.

Silver Gelatin Print ~ "Jars in the Window"
1984 ~ 8"x10" ~ All prints in collections
Eugene, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment