Thursday, September 15, 2016

Green Image Setting in the Camera

One of the next test negatives I will be doing print tests on will come directly out of my camera, with no manipulations. That's the test. My old Canon 20D has a function that I won't give up, the menu setting for 'black and white', with additional ability to add black and white filters; red/blue/green/yellow.... The red one has been used a lot for scenic shots with sky. Another setting is for image 'tone' which also comes is colors. I of course chose the green tone. So now I have a folder full of such images, divided into two broad groups; +1 contrast boost and +2 contrast boost images. Green of course.

The significance of this being fairly obvious, using Dan Burkholder's green toned image for boosted density range. If Mr. Burkholder is roughly correct with his determination that a standard negative density range boosted 50% (density range increase) said negative will print nicely on hand coated processes. My test is to see if the green toned, boosted image will actually convert to a printable negative from the camera settings alone. I already know that spectral density isn't needed to reach printable density range, so my thinking is that with a green toned image, even less density is needed, as demonstrated quite nicely by PJ, printing his visually thin, green toned negative, which printed longer than my much denser negative.

For now, that negative will come from PJ's printer, which by the way is a very large  Epson printer. With the breakup of this weeks planned meetups, life got in the way for me, which means it will be likely next week before any such negative is forthcoming. Today will see more print testing so there should be promising results to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment