Monday, September 5, 2016

Printing Choices

Having a custom printer at my disposal now, floods my brain with a linear lineup of images I have that beg to be printed. I'm as jazzed as I was when my first enlarger arrived in a box, along with developing tanks and trays, and related equipment. It heralds just so much possibility in the offing. The images I have in mind for printing tend to be those captured when I was a much younger man. They were intended to be printed and exhibited when I had gallery walls to hang them. Now, they will come to life even larger than I had hoped for back in those days, before the word digital had been used outside television broadcast nomenclature.

As I pointed out in earlier posts, I tended to be a generalist as an early photographer, pointing my lens at the thing that caught my eye at the time. Not that this is an uncommon practice, and with enough years of shooting there eventually evolves a body of work that can be divided into more than one portfolio of subjects. That is my fortunate condition at this time. More than one portfolio of images to select images from. A heady position to be in. From the images I have been posting over the past articles a fairly clear direction is forming, as those are the images I most wanted to print back then.

One such portfolio is a collection of people I have photographed, many are children, a favorite subject of mine. "Adley On The Stump" being a favorite children shot, for me portraying the innocence of children, unpretentious and unassuming. Just them as they are. I will post more examples later, as I will be printing those images in palladium. One favorite image of a person I captured was a woman friend lying in my front yard, when my daughter's cat walked by, stopping nose to nose with the woman for brief moment. I happened to capture that moment. It was the dress in sunlight that caught my eye. A zone 7 texture, which looked like poured silver when printed.

Negative; FP-4 (rated 80 ISO)  Developed; Beutler 105   Printed; Chloride paper ~ Ektalure G

Silver Gelatin Print ~ "Feline Friends" {soon to be palladium}
1989 ~ 4"x9" ~ Unique
Eugene, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment