Thursday, September 1, 2016

One Negative Two Prints

I began the conversation on contact printing using paper negatives, showing it works well, for those who have yet to try it out. There was a sort of personal enjoyment out of shooting paper negatives, doing something not seen since before I was born. It just wasn't necessary with numerous choices in celluloid at hand. I almost felt like a rebel, shooting outside expected lines of photographic propriety.

I think there is that. Besides the budgetary consideration to using paper negatives, I also didn't have a lens for my newly acquired Burke & James 5x7 view camera. $40 from a photo second hand store. I found my lens for another $40 which was a projector enlarger lens, so no shutter. Shooting at 6 ASA doesn't really need a shutter when you use a bit of tape around the inside threads of a plastic chemical bottle for the shutter cap and all was working well. About a five or six second exposure by pulling off the cap and counting then replacing it.

I will post a few more paper negative images to show how they can be expressive of the subject, tonal range, color, texture and detail. This image is merely the same paper negative image of the last post, except printed in gum, not on silver chloride paper. As noted, it consists of thirteen color print layers.

Gum Dichromate Print ~ "Quiet Pond"
1984 ~ 5"x7" ~ Unique
Eugene, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment