Sunday, September 11, 2016

Printer Testing ~ Salted Silver Print

Printer testing begins again tomorrow, for standard print time, as well as optimal printer height, which will become the print time. For me, that would be 10-12 minutes for a print in silver, which would then make a gum print time about the same as a palladium print, or about 6-8 minutes. That would be the sweet spot for printing control. I already know that the default position puts out far too much UV light to reach those print times. That default printing time is half what I would want it to be.

First manipulation will be to raise the printer 4", which should reduce the light intensity approximately by half. And that would be most appreciated, although it just sounds too easy.... I do have one 8x10 digital negative that has densities exceeding a density range printable by sunlight, even full printing right into the direct sunlight. Just for the giggles I intend on printing that image in the printer for comparison.

I'm posting a salt paper print that was one of the last such prints I made thirty years ago. It will be one of the first palladium tones silver prints I will be making with the new printer.

Salted Silver Print ~ "Cougar Reservoir"
1987 ~ 5"x7" ~ Private Collection
Oregon Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment